Monday, December 7, 2015

Toughts on Atkins

I am going to admit, I am more than a little nervous to try Atkins again.

It worked amazingly well for me in my mid twenties.  It took some time, but I was doing so good. 

Then I had kids, and, well, my body has never been the same. Hypothyroidism, back injury, anxiety/depression all became part of my life. I have struggled since.

I am nervous because I have tried Atkins a couple of times since having kids, and it just didn't seem to work.  I have been trying to understand why.  I know that I have the most energy and feel the best when I am eating tons of fresh veggies and a fair amount of protein. So why didn't it work for me?  I think some of it was mental and some of it is that we as a family have shifted how we eat. We eat a lot less meat and when we do, we eat meat that comes from environmentally sustainable sources.  That's not exactly cheap to sustain, especially when someone is eating a high protein diet. In the end, I never fully committed to it.  If I have learned anything, I need to fully commit.  I am an abstainer. I need to say "no carbs" (which doesn't really mean no carbs...) and not have a cheat day or allow my self one piece of bread a day.  My brain just doesn't work that way.

So this time, I fully commit. The first 2 weeks of "clean eating" will be the hardest, but I will do it. 

No comments: