Friday, February 12, 2016

Is the Scale Evil?

And other musings.

I weighed in this week and frankly, I wasn't happy. Despite being sick and barely eating, I gained 3 lbs.  Yeah, I don't get it. Was it a fluke?  Was the scale in an odd spot?  Was I retaining fat/fluids/whatever because I wasn't eating that much?  Did I gain muscle by pushing my skiing?  Did I get implanted with an alien baby?

See once I got to the alien baby, I realized that I wasn't too phased by this apparent "gain". 

See, here's the thing.  ALL of my clothes fit better.  I am wearing a bra that I couldn't wear before the Christmas gain.  I was able to zip up a skirt that my mom bought me for Christmas (the size they sent was 2 sizes too small, but it was too much work to return it).  I tried on pants and needed to size down.  My clothes fit me like they did before Christmas.  My ski pants fit much better than they have all season. 

All of these things tell me that maybe the scale is EVIL.

Ok, not really. I do think it is a good tool to help me keep on track, but I can't judge myself and my progress by that number each week.  There are other things that indicate that I am doing the right things for my body.

Now for a completely unrelated note, I have discovered new triggers for my anxiety:
  • Sickness
  • Tiredness
  • Too much caffeine
 Given that these tend to go hand in hand, it is a recipe for disaster, especially if I stop working out. 

(It has been a rough couple of weeks for me, but I think that I am finally feeling well enough to go back to working out regularly.  Just in time for a business trip though...)

No comments: